Re: overcoming the XP lag

At 11/5/2004 03:48 AM -0500, Robert Holmgren wrote:

Have you got a lot of concurrent processes running? Just a glance at
Taskman indicates about 30 or 40 on my machines, maybe more. Any big apps
running? (In 9x there were very few.) I just tried raising XyWrite's
priority, and the cursor seemed almost ahead of my fingers, it was so fast.
Not that XyWrite isn't stealing most of the CPU in any case! But I'd try
raising the priority of the VDM in which XyWrite is running -- don't go higher
than "high", or use a DOS tool to raise it about 20% (that's a lot). (Do you
know how to set the priority of a process? One way is via Taskman, goto View
==> Options first, Select enough Columns to make the display meaningless, i.e.
at least grab CPU time, base priority, that sort of thing. Then highlight
XyWrite's NTVDM, right-click on it for a context menu, and Set Priority.)

Thanks. I'll try this. Any third party utilities you suggest, besides the
native Taskman?

Two things occur to me: 1) are you sure that it is KS, or the 0,0
values of KS, that are achieving this improvement? Could it be the incurring
of an *error* that is doing it? Something in the operating system may be
interfering with Editor in a way that was never
contemplated/anticipated/prepared for by Editor, and consequently something isbeing destabilized. Or maybe the keyboard module in Editor is
reinitialized in
defensive response to the error. What happens if you manually LOAD MY.KBD
(whatever MY should be)? Or you use the old LDKBD command instead of LOAD?
Or, you try to LOAD a non-existent KBD file?

This seems on the right track to me. If, in fact, we are reinitializing the
keyboard, that explains why this works only after bootup; i.e. doing it after the VDM has been established, as if we can take back control of the hardware at that point -- sort of like hitting the engine with a hammer (Had a friend with an old Alpha Romeo that ran rough until one day his mechanic advised, "After she starts, hita-da carburator wi-da hammer." Worked like a charm. In another view, I wonder what MS did in SP2 to improve the VDM? Is there an answer there? Meanwhile, let me try what you suggest above and get back here.

Have you tried starting XyWrite in FullScreen, and then Alt-Enter into a window?

This too I'll try. Thanks again for your time. BTW your other post on full
screen was great. Good to have precis.
Michael Norman