Re: overcoming the XP lag

At 11/4/2004 10:01 PM -0500, Carl Distefano wrote:

I don't mean to sidetrack this technical thread, but, when time permits, would someone explain to me the apparent obsession with getting Xy to run in a window? Even if it were perfectly smooth -- and IMHO (Avrom: plug define:imho into Google) it's pretty good, admittedly not perfect, with XP Pro SP2 -- I would never in a million years run XyWrite in a window when I can run it full screen, with colors tweaked via VPT. Very occasionally, to cut and paste between programs -- sure. But for normal, extended text editing? No way! Full screen is such a pleasure. It's so easy to toggle Alt-Enter when necessary; and Robert's CLIP program provides easy access to the system Clipboard, whether in a window or full screen. Why beat your head against a wall?
You know...good question. Especially when XyDos runs beautifully in full screen mode. Answer: Screen fonts. The LCD NTVDM font on the IBM T41 is -- for these eyes -- to rough to work in all day. In a window we can use Uwe Sieber's fonts. http://www.uwe-sieber.de/dosfon_e.html. They're simply great. Pre Siber, I used ultravision and stuck to a 15-inch Multisync, small enough to make the characters clear. Later with Siber I went to a 17-inch. Point is readability. FOR ME, the full-screen fonts are simply unreadable at length. YMMV. Michael Norman