No TrueType?

Pardon me for posing a probably elementary question about unglamorous
XyWrite for Windows and TrueType.

As all users of XyWin know, it's an anomaly among Windows programs in not
using the standard ANSI [?] character set. I usually find this a Good
Thing, but at times it does lead to irritations.

Of course, plenty of Windows character sets are nonstandard. One may be
replete with arrows, stars and splodges. Various little utilities list
which character is where, and the character I need is easily found and
entered. ("That arrow is d9 hex. In Arial, d9 hex is capital-U-grave. So
I enter capital-U-grave.")

Well, it's usually easily. My problem now is that I want to use a font
including the character provided by the thoughtful typographer at 8d hex
(141 decimal). Now, a normal Windows TrueType font has nothing whatever at
8dh, so my normal methods don't work. And laborious cutting-and-pasting
procedures don't either.

Any way around this? (Should I RTFM?)
Peter Evans