Re: Connectix | VPC

Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

> Yeah, MicroSquelch will "continue to support" it the way they did with
> FoxPro. (I didn't believe them then either.) More likely, the minute they
> get their hands on the code, they will try to ensure that future releases
> of Windows are incompatible with existing copies of VPC.

Strategically, you can see their interest in taking Win-32 emulation off the
table as a user option. Since the Justice Dept. and the states have caved by
this point, MS doesn't have to worry about any anti-competitive implications.

My initial reaction was in favor of buying VPC before this happens. On the
other hand, as you point out, MS will probably do its best to render the
product worthless, for any future Win releases. Still, at the moment I have
no plans to go beyond W2K, so it may not matter.

> The only saving grace is that that may be beyond the programming abilities
> of the
> microserfs: the crackers broke Product Activation within days, if not
> hours, of XP's release.

Really ? I'd like to know more about that. I've heard some consultants
insist that the Activation is just not an issue, that you _can_ change
hardware without XP having a breakdown or having to get a re-reg. key, and,
from all the info I had gleaned previously, believed not a word of it.

Jordan