Re: CP and LA

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:29:01 -0500 (EST)

>> Robert: "...VALA (local setting; note how it toggles between
>> 437 in eXPanded mode, and 850 in formatted+ mode ..."

>  What do you mean by formatted+ mode? I tried WG, and SP and WZ, but all
> gave VALA as 437 (though VA$CP gives 437).

Try setting the codepage at the system level. I've forgotten how to change the
default MSWin codepage (if I ever knew)... The behavior I was describing may be
particular to OS/2, in which a primary and an alternate codepage are defined --
check your Windows docs, see if there's a command called CHCP (CHangeCodePage).
It may be that Windows needs to be setup so that various codepage options
are predefined. Toggling XP and WG+ flops between alternate and primary codepages
in OS/2. The point I was making was that you cannot load ACCENTS.PRN if cp=437.

The old US codepage was 437. Pretty much everybody now uses 850, because all
Western European languages are accommodated, facilitating an easy
intercourse. There are a LOT of different national codepages.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx