Re: OT: Who said it?

Patricia wrote:
More important, this tale is usually told of Winston Churchill:
You know, maybe I was told it was Winnie but got my Brits mixed. I was told
it in 1960.
My Oxford Dictionary of Quotations (3d ed., 1979) lists it under his name thus, "This is the sort of English up with which I will not put" Attrib. comment against clumsy avoidance of a preposition at the end of a sentence. E. Gowers, Plain Words...
Of course, in neither example is there really a preposition involved. "To
get a kick out of" something and "to put up with" something are phrasal
verbs; the "out of" and "up with" are more like separable prefixes in
German than real prepositions.
Interesting. Is that illustrated by the fact that you can substitute
"abide" (no preposition) for "put up with"? On the other hand, "get a kick
out of" seems to call for a preposition, as long as you keep the passive
voice: "get enjoyment from" or "get enjoyment from."

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx