Re: How is U2 different from XyWrite?

John H. Kessel wrote:
    You mentioned using Ghostscript with U2. I located a site on which
         AFPL Ghostscript 8.54
         GPL Ghostscript 8.54
         GPL Ghostscript 8.51
         GPL Ghostscript 8.50
         GPL Ghostscript 8.15
         GNU Ghostscript 7.07 and
         gsview 48W32.exe
 are available. Which of these should I get? And what entries after
         GSWIN32C.EXE and
         GSVIEW32.EXE
on the Registry would be appropriate?
Assuming it isn't flagged as a beta, version 8.54. You generally want the latest, unless it's a beta or you're running on some really ancient hardware. (I see that mine is only 8.53, so I may have fallen behind.)
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't AFL for
Windows and GPL for *nix? (Oops, sorry John: that's
geek speak for "Linux or Unix or some similar operating
system.") But if you XySearch the XyWWWeb site for
Ghostscript, you should find the link directly to the
GS site.
Once you install both you could run regcfg.pm again to
get the entries right. But here are my entries:

Ghostscript_EXE_Win32=C:\gs\gs8.53\bin\GSWIN32C.EXE
That is, leave the other Ghostscript entries blank but fill in the fully qualified path name to gswin32c.exe after the one that has Win_32 just before the equal sign (assuming you're running Windows 9x, 2K, or XP).

Likewise, for GSView:

GSView_Win32=C:\gs\Ghostgum\gsview\GSVIEW32.EXE
Both should, of course, give the fully qualified path names as they exist in your system. Note that (no doubt from excess caution) I do NOT permit either program to install itself in c:\Program Files; that directory is booby-trapped by M$ in ways that make it very difficult for DOS apps or a plain command line to find things. Robert fixed it with two long-file name routines, but I'd rather be sure than sorry.
A search of the archive should also turn up Robert's
instructions on choosing the GS printer. I use
WinPrinter for my Epson Stylus C82 (which is not a Win
Printer--it has its inner smarts--but they are
proprietary).
As for Clip, try clipping from Eudora to Xy, and try
with different-sized blocks of text. Windows e-mail
clients appear to be just plain buggy RAM hogs; I still
get the occasional failure when copying to Thunderbird
(sometimes just between it and other Windows apps, so
it's Tbird, nothing to do with Clip except accidentally).

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx