Re: Save selected DF block to file without EOF marker?

** Reply to message from Patricia M Godfrey  on Fri, 17 Sep
2004 17:24:28 -0400

> If a file is
> created using doc info, and then called with doc info turned off, the doc
> info no longer is visible in XyWrite, but is there if you look at the
> file in another plain text editor.

"If a file is created using doc info, and then called with doc info turned off,
the doc info no longer is visible in XyWrite..."

DocInfo is NEVER visible in XyWrite! I think I'm repeating myself. It doesn't
matter whether DocInfo is Off or On!!! (Not unless you *specifically* instruct
XyWrite to write DocInfo into and thus clutter up the visible part of the file,
i.e. before the EOF char, something usually done via the Menus: File ==>
Document Information ==> check box "Insert info into file".) The ordinary way
to see DocInfo is via the Help system -- there's a DLG frame that handles this:
in the Menu, go to File ==> Document Information.

If you are thinking or suggesting that with DocInfo turned Off, DocInfo won't
be maintained, that is incorrect. DocInfo is ALWAYS maintained, whether D IO=0
or 1 (Off or On), *if* the file was created initially with DocInfo turned On.

"...but is there if you look at the file in another plain text editor."

Text editor or *viewer*, e.g. LIST.COM. Well, sure. DocInfo is part of the
file. If you want to look at it "raw", you can see it with a lister/external
editor, down at the end of the file. But the Menu method makes much more
sense, because it renders the DocInfo data, not in hexadecimal notation, but in
English.

Is it clear? I mean, you can perform tests yourself that answer all your
questions, in much less time than it takes to ask them! Set D IO=1, make a NEw
file, put one word in it, SAve it, check Menu ==> File == Document Information;
set D IO=0, RECAll the file, put one more word in it, SAve it, check Menu ==>
File == Document Information. It will indicate *two* revisions, and the last
revision time will be the time of the second edit+SAve. And so forth.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx