re HP5 driver

:	A careful reading of the HP5 manuals shows no way
:	to switch from the PS mode to the PCL mode via a
:	hardware switch on the printer or a software command
:	on the DOS side of the computer.

Andrew: The only 4MP control panel switch I see that suggests options is
"Menu" and I'm darned if I'm going to dig out my manuals to see what it does.
It's certainly possible to switch PDLs with code if not hardware, but neither
HP nor Adobe ever gave away anything they didn't have to; HP probably wants
to sell you another manual.

After my last msg I looked at the ascii part of the xyDOS 4 LJ4 driver. It
does contain an FB< and FE<, and the FB< does seem to do what I suggested,
turn on PCL (<32 ascii symbols enumerated within braces):
	FB<@PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = PCL{ascii 13 10 16}&l8C
And the FE< appears to turn it off:
	FE<{ascii 16}E{ascii 16}%-12345X@PJL COMMENT End PCL

:	No DOS software comes with the machine,
:	although Windows printing is fully supported.

More marketing dreck--as if it could support Windows without supporting DOS.
This is my first laser, so I don't know what DOS software normally would be
expected. None came with mine either, and I had to dl HP4 win3 drivers from
the AO software library.

:	Running a proof sheet through the printer shows that
:	both modes are registered and enabled. For insurance,
:	I run a mode command on bootup that points to LPT1.

Both reassuring.

:	All XyWrite HPLJ-4 drivers fail. I think this is because
:	the driver needs to send its output through the Mac side
:	of the machine where it spools through the Mac HP5 driver.

I know next to nothing about PowerMacs or networks, but wouldn't Apple Talk
route the output? Through the ... Mac HP5 driver??? Can you disable it? Is
Apple Talk required for the sides to communicate? For DOS emulation to
function at all? Can DOS address the ports directly in any circumstances?
Whatever, this does seem to be a platform matter. Have you asked Apple for
help?

:	What I'm trying to do is bypass this process so I can
:	use my dingbats, bitstreamcharter (the nicest font in
:	the Times family, in my view, etc.

I don't know bitstreamcharter, but you can get anything you want at the Type
1 restaurant. (As Dan Kanagy and I have recommended often, think SoftMaker
infiniType first: Adobe-like quality at bargain prices.) Certainly dingbats
are abundant. There are fates worse than being stuck with Type 1 fonts.
They've made PostScript the printing industry standard. 	--A

========================== annie fisher  nyc