Getting Xy4Dos Up & Running on T61 with XP-Pro

In a few days I begin an extended trip for the first time since I got my
Lenovo T61 with XP-ProSP2. I ordinarily use Xy4Dos on a desktop running
Windows 98SE, and have to put the Xy onto the laptop now for the first
time. (Then I will add U2.) On the desktop I have all the program
files in a \Xy4 directory and documents/work in a \xy directory. I
created a c:\xy4 directory on the laptop and copied all the contents of
my \xy4 directory from the desktop onto the laptop, and then created a
desktop shortcut that goes to c:\xy4 and runs the command "editor".  I
see a dos window open and what I imagine is the XyWrite working screen,
but only for a second -- and then it shuts down, and I'm back in Windows
where I started. Suggestions on what to check, and what settings I
might have wrong and where?
-- Peter Goldberger, Ardmore, PA