Re: Another "Formatted View" bug?

≪	The phenonmenon Nathan describes occurs only when Xy4 is in draft
mode (func WG) and the doc contains columns/graphics. You don't have this
situation in Xy3 because you don't have columns/graphics. ≫

What Nathan wrote--"I get a switch to page-line view regularly when I
save a file containing tables or, if memory serves, graphics"--is
accurate. Your interpretation isn't quite. The file needn't contain
graphics. Columns are enough to cause the phenomenon. So, graphics aside,
you *do* have the same situation in v3 and v4. The v3 display behaves, v4's
doesn't.

≪	Why do you comment on this when you obviously have little or no
experience with Xy4 columns/graphics? ≫

What a strange question. Why would I comment if I *hadn't* experienced
the problem? I find it one of xyDos 4's most exasperating "features."
While I have no experience whatever with xyDos 4 graphics, I use columns
a lot. I've been reduced to editing xyDos 4 .kbd and .prn files with xyW
3 because I use columns in them. Harry's solution is the same one that
occurred to me after I read your explanation. If I ever use v4 again I'll
try it. But this is just one of v4's display delights that chase me back
to v3. My fave is when v4 opens a file but continues to display a dir
listing. Like I said--it's always *something*.

≪	Offhand I can't think of anything in Xy4 XPL which is new _and_
undocumented except the CountUp command (, where "x" is a LaBel
reference). Indeed, there isn't much that's new procedurally. Mainly
there are new VAriables, and they're all documented. What's the complaint
here? ≫

Try to see the documentation, e.g., for the v4 view functions through the
eyes of someone reading it for the first time. Show me where v3-v4
porting issues are documented (other than that useless transition
booklet). If you believe there aren't any porting issues, then it *has*
been a long time since you switched to Signature.

≪	If xy32 is free of xyWin bugs, I have every reason to upgrade. ≫	af

≪	So, Xy2000 will be free of bugs (like Sig, after 3 years of
development and lots of money) in the first version? Great news. ≫	rjh

That's rather a leap from what I wrote.

≪	Maybe we should begin to throw our support and pressure behind
the key people at NB. ≫

Some excerpts from a msg James D. Ernest , a subscriber
who just had an encounter with the developer, posted to the NB list 29
November:

≪	Naturally no one will say when the Windows version will be
available, but apparently progress is good, and from what Siebert showed
me of Ibidem for Windows, Kelly's statement that the intention is not to
catch up but to charge out ahead of the pack seems credible. [...] For
N.B. users who expect to use the Windows version when it becomes
available but are switching to NT--I didn't press for clarification on
this point but came away pretty clear that the Windows product will fly
with 3.1 and with 95--not so sure about NT, though the general drift was
vaguely positive. ≫