Win 7 and exFat

Recently I tried to reformat a RAID external (it was originally
Mac-formatted) to Fat 16/32. But only exFat is available from Windows 7,
and that seems too restrictive. The Apple disk utility was proving
completely impossible, so I couldn't use that either. What is the
best solution for an external? (NTFS isn't satisfactory because while Mac
OS can read it, it can't write it - - so, for example, if you want to
unzip a file on the external, you can't. There are some solutions to
enable NTFS on Mac, but they don't seem guaranteed and they're certainly
not free.)