Re: Full-screen DOS Prompt on Vista (was I want to go geek .. and VPC?)

Robert Holmgren wrote:

there's a graphical representation of the DOS prompt size superimposed on the full screen. As the numbers went up, the DOS screen enlarged. When the two coincided, he hit apply, OK, then Alt-enter. Et VoilĂ ! Full screen DOS prompt.

He enlarged screen size and buffer size, then "when the twocoincided", he hit Apply=>OK=>Alt-Enter. Hmmmm.

No, sorry. What I meant was that when the graphic image of the VDM
screen and the graphic image of the whole screen coincided. I couldn't see what numbers he was actually entering, so cannot say how screen size and screen buffer size were related. But with that graphic (for once, a useful one), one wouldn't need to, presumably.

You're sure
that screen size and buffer size were equal? Equal at **whatvalue**????

NO, as I say, I couldn't see the actual numbers. Next time I'm in a
store (which won't be for a week at least; have to set up a new box at the office this weekend), I'll try it myself (if the hovering sales clerks--who are never around when you want one--will let me).

This was on
a machine that had displayed a "no can do" message moments
before, when you tried Alt-Enter???

Absolutely, positively, no question. Did it for me, did it for the
sales rep.

But drivers have nothing to do with it.

Hmmm. Maybe. Maybe not.

Well, there may be drivers that won't let you do it no matter how. But
the mere message "This mode not supported" (or whatever it was; do not recall the ipsissima verba) is no sure sign.

I suppose you had your Vista box by mail-order? Or was it from any of
the usual retail suspects? If I could find one of that model on display, and compare it with another make and model, doing exactly the same on both, it might give us a handle on this.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx