Printers

Some time ago, I was told by HP techs that those
good-looking, trim, black Photosmart printers cannot print
Dos files, but since that time I have:

A.] come to realize that tech reps are getting dumber and
dumber, and

B.] reread all the Xylist printer discussions I've saved
over the past year or so, most of which indicate that at
least some printers that are not made for Dos can still
print Dos files.

So, what do you think the chances are that I can, without
too much tweaking, get a photo printer to print Dos
documents?

The models I am looking at are:
hp photosmart 1000i
hp photosmart 1115
hp photosmart 1215
hp photosmart 1218
hp photosmart 1315

Trying to download specs right now causes my browser to
crash, but the specs I downloaded earlier this year indicate
that at least three of these printers:

[] are thermal inkjet,
[] use Hp PCL 3 or 3 enhanced language, and
[] are compatible with my Win98 and also with Mac ("Mac
OS8.6 or above on G3/G4-based systems with built-in
USB-connect Macintosh," which is meaningless to me, but
Dorothy Day wrote on 11/21/00 "I suspect that any printer
that says it supports both Windows and Macintosh will lack
the crippled feature that would keep it fromworking with
Dos, even if Dos isn't mentioned.")

I'm also looking at the Lexmark i3 inkjet, but the online
specs are so, well, unspecific that they don't even mention
price.

So, is it worth my time to experiment with one of these
concoctions and, if so, any suggestions on a driver?

I'm using Xydos 4.018 in a Dos box in Win98SE on a Dell
Inspiron 3200 laptop; it has a USB connector, but I'm not
sure that's the issue here.

I thought investigating printers was going to be a long-term
project, but the person whose printer I've been using wants
it back, so.....

Many thanks
Judith Davidsen