Re: UNDO

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on
Tue, 08 Jul 2008 12:50:24 -0700

> I've read UNDO.TXT, and I'd like a little more explanation of the "timed"
> method.

Read the latest version of UnDo.txt, in the ZIP at
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/UnDo.ZIP

> my bafflement centers on what it means to poke things into a
> keyboard buffer

The keyboard buffer is a tabula rasa that sits there, waiting
for you to type something. What you type goes into the buffer
and gets executed. UnDo.exe puts keystrokes into the buffer,
just as if you typed them yourself -- pretending, if you will,
to be you. XyWrite doesn't know the difference between your own
genuine keystrokes and the ones that UnDo.exe inserts (pokes)
into the buffer. XyWrite executes those keystrokes.

> Am I right in thinking that if you assign $T to the ScrollLock
> key, then hitting that key will activate an UnDo? Also, will assigning
> things in the .REG file take care of that, or should I do something to the
> .KBD file, too?

UnDo.txt: "Principles: You assign frame $T to a keystroke in
KBD file." So if you want to use ScrollLock, then just assign
$T to every iteration of key 70 in every TABLE, thus:
"70=$T". Then SAve the KBD file, and re-LOAD
it.

No, *YOU* yourself, your fingers, do not hit the ScrollLock --
ever (UnDo.txt: "the user should NOT manually use this
keystroke!"). Instead, UnDo.exe hits the ScrollLock, at a timed
interval. You do nothing. You just write and edit your
documents normally. If you want to revert to previous versions
of a document, command "UNDO". REDO re-does,
just like in other Windows programs.

No, "assigning things in the .REG file" only does three things:
it tells UnDo what keystroke you've assigned $T to (thus, for
ScrollLock, "UnDoKeys=91"), what timed interval to use in
seconds (REG variable UnDoFreq), and how many backups to
maintain (REG variable UnDoDepth). It doesn't assign $T to
key(s), SAve, or reLOAD your KBD file for you -- you have to do
that, manually, in a one-time configuration.

I think most of this is explained in UnDo.txt...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx