Re: Re[2]: Word 7 and WP7 conversion tool

Jim Eberle  said

>   Instead of using Keyview, why not just save MS Word 7 as a Text only
>   file with a path and file name that gets it into XyWrite, and use MS
>   7's import facility to bring in an Xy document. You lose the control
>   codes, but so what. I've tried the conversions both ways and they
>   work.

  Absolutely right, Jim -- If you are working with or for someone who is
bright enough to do that. The problem people have reported involves files
they need that come to them from outside the shop.

>   One conversion that does not work is to take MS Word 7 into Word
>   Perfect 5.1 as an interim step and then try to bring that document
>   into XyWrite (in both steps using Word for Word).

   Hmm. This must be a result of the "noise" Robert Holmgren was talking
about. I have often imported WP5.1 files in their native state into XW4DOS
and XW4WIN, and they come through uninjured.
  WordPerfect 7 can save as WP6, I assume. Can it save as 5.1?
  Sometimes the lengths to which people go to keep usine XyWrite astonish
me. I wonder why TTG doesn't see the light and publish XW5, debugged and
equipped with filters for the new programs. That of course is about as
likely as nobody at all using Word, but wouldn't it be a better, happier world?

Lee Hickling