Re: Wildcard ci problem

Wolfie wrote:

> ci |http://WWWWW[CR]|≪lbhttp://WWWWW[CR]≫| > > But even three W's generates the error that "wildcards have to be in the > same order." I'll defer to the more knowledgeable people when they speak up, but it seems to me that, if the W wildcard is defined as a string of any length, putting more than one next to each other would present the software with a problem that even programming excellence a la XyWrite or NB cannot overcome. How do you expect the software to know where one "W" string ends and the other begins? If the above definition is correct, using "WW" or "WWW" or whatever is essentially meaningless since it is the same as "W". However, if the W wildcard is defined as a string of max. xx characters in length, and you are stringing the W's up in order to increase the length of the wildcard string, you may simply be trying to exceed a built-in limit that cannot be exceeded by definition.
Well, I intend it to mean: search through up to 400 characters at a time, looking for a carriage-return-line-feed. (Each W spanning 80, 5x80=400). If you find one, say after 322 non-qualifying characters, take THOSE 322 characters, add a carriage-return-line-feed, and surround them by ≪lb ≫. I don't see any ambiguity or circularity in that. On internal limits, note that there's no problem SEarching for 5 W's followed by a CR/LF. Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx