Xy4 Running Xy3 Keyboard

Having momentarily resurrected Xy4 today, I ran across a keyboard problem
that I can't fix with NI.

Because my Xy3 keyboard file is so highly customized, I also use it when I
run Xy4. Everything works fine (ever since I put NI in all the right places)
except...using the CTRL keys, if depressed and released without being used
in combination with another key, puts the control-key character (if a space
can be called a character) where the cursor sits (and then everything I
input with the keyboard reacts as though the CONTROL key were depressed...I
had to shut down Xy with the Task Manager until I discovered that using the
CTRL key + any other key stops the character from being active...?).

Is there a way to stop this from happening?

Brian H.