Re: SPEEDOS and Func WZ

Further results: I just loaded XyW (from its own pif) and commanded VA/NV
ZX
Response was 1. I shelled to DOs, ran mem/c and piped it to a file.
Exited to XyW, command default ZX=0, shelled to DOS again, and ran mem /c
and piped it to another file. Back in XyW, I compared the two files:
identical. Could ZX have gotten hardwired into editor.exe between
Signature and Xy4? In some way that only works in DOS--which, of course,
is still, for good and ill, underlying Win 9x. (Subchapter title in a
couple of books on Win 9x I have reads, "Meet the New DOS...Same as the
Old DOS.") Did NT and does W2K make the distinction between conventional,
expanded, and extended memory? How about OS/2? Native, I mean, because I
assume they emulate it to run DOS and Win apps. If they don't, that would
explain why one needs to use the /E4000 switch: not to tell XyW, but to
clue in the opsys.
Now, as for the SPEEDOS table, which got us off on this tangent, let's
see. No other graphical apps are running; I never really try to multitask
in WinDoesn't. Monitor is a Compaq 171FS, 17 inch, and it has lost its
Red signal. On the other hand, the same thing happens on the laptop,
though that also is a Compaq. Anytime I switch from draft to graphic mode
the screen blanks, then comes up full screen. That appears to be another
Redmond rudeness. But normally, I do get the document to display without
other problems. That is using the original keyboard assignment of
Shift-F8; will try what issuing the function call from the CML does.
	What I did today (besides shoveling my walk 4 times) was try this out on
a pure DOS box over at the office, which is running Novel DOS 7--what
they used at TTG. No Redmond rubbish on it. Now if I cut SPEEDOS out from
the XYWWWEB.INF file, save it as an ordinary text file, and then view it,
I can view it in graphic mode with no problem. TABLE SPEEDOS helpkey
followed by FUNC WZ doesn't crash as it does in Win98. But I get a blank
graphic screen and a total lockup. The three-fingered salute isn't even
trapped (almost unheard-of), but causes a reboot.
	Will try other of your suggestions here on the Win98 machine. I suspect
a display adapter memory issue. Here I have an AGP card--very early AGP,
a Trident 9850 with 4 Mb RAM. Will check what display adapters are in the
laptop and the DOS box, but apps of XyW's vintage did tend to assume
memory areas would be vacant that have since been appropriated to VGA.
It's no big deal, because I can consult the table as a separate file, but
it's a tad worrisome to know about these memory issues, as I will have to
be working on some fairly large files shortly. Many thanks for the leads.
Patricia