Re: Tame related.

Robert Holmgren wrote:
Wrong method. In XyWrite, you shell to DOS (command DOS/NV), then in *DOS*
you command
 MEM/C |MORE
MEM with the /C[LASSIFY] argument is a DOS command (MEM by itself is a legal
XyWrite immediate command also, displaying results dictated by C-frame "0m" in
DLG). If EMS is enabled, MEM/C will say so. If not, not. No point in passing
Editor an "/e####" switch if EMS isn't available.

I hadn't realized one even could use MEM within Xy. BUT
recall the exchange Robert and I had back in Feb. (17 &
18) 2003: I ran some extensive tests setting EMS
allocations in a plain vanilla DOS prompt and my Xy
.pif, piping the results of Mem/c to files and
comparing them, and concluded:
on the whole, it looks as if XyW is using EMS, no
matter how loaded

To which Robert replied:
Yeah, it looks like you're right: the /E switch
seems to serve to limit the amount loaded, only.
In fact, under WNT, if you specify the amount of
EMS to use (/e4000), it sets aside 4000Kb; if you
don't specify anything, it sets aside 4192Kb -- in
other words, more than the supposed maximum amount;
In short, /E4000 is not needed. I think it was probably
put in in DOS days in case one had some TSR that wanted
some of a small supply of EMS mem, to keep Xy from
hogging it all, by setting that to LESS than 4000.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx