Re: Tame related.

** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Sat, 15
Jul 2006 14:52:57 -0400

> In short, /E4000 is not needed.

But it remains true that there is "no point in passing
Editor an '/e####' switch if EMS isn't available."

> I think it was probably
> put in in DOS days in case one had some TSR that wanted
> some of a small supply of EMS mem, to keep Xy from
> hogging it all, by setting that to LESS than 4000.

Very likely. The point there was that at some point, somebody (my recollection
is that it was a XyQuest SysOp) told us that 4000Kb was the maximum amount.
"4000Kb", in the usual understanding, = 4192000 bytes. But the /E switch seems
to mean "/En", where "n" = n*1000; so XyWrite understands "/e4000" to
mean
4000000 bytes. Thus, the maximum value should probably be stated as "/e4192".
But clearly, if you make that much (or more) EMS available, it is unnecessary
to use the /E switch at all -- XyWrite will simply take the maximum and use it.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx