off topic: query to editors (Trotsky)

Carl's remark (27 Mar) on Trotsky's ruling out the first person in historical narration, "Nothing Bolshie about it," is true enough -- perhaps excepting certain theoretical Marxist biases against aggrandizing indivuals that it may reflect.

Eloquent, yes, in the fulsome rhetorical fashion of the day -- c. 1930. (How would Hitler's magnum opus have sold if titled "Sein Kampf"?)

Carl's description of Trotsky ("another historian-participant who was extravagantly honored by his club, until he fell out of favor,") leaves me grateful that mine is a history of a microcosm. Even if coldly received it is unlikely to get me Trotsky's last reward, an ice pick in the brain.

Again, thanks Carl and all other repondents.

Bruce Felknor (fingers crossed)