Re: Memory "leaks"

At 04:26 PM 10/30/96 +0000, Sherry wrote:

>Thanks.. I'll try that.
>
>>You can
>>recover by shelling out to DOS and returning. It is easy to write a
>>little XPL program that does that in one go from the command line.
>>
>>--
>Nathan Sivin

I'm not so sure it's easy, because once you issue the "DOS" command, you are
out of Xy. So how do you get a non-running program to tell DOS to "exit"
back? My older solution had been to call a .bat file. But I just stumbled on
a much easier solution: the command below, which will give an error beep,
refreshes the memory:

do xxx

--where "xxx" is NOT a variable, but a nonsense string--is any string that
DOS won't know how to interpret. Actually, it may be okay if it can
interpret it! I just tried "Do dir" and it worked just as well to release
memory.

And if you use this, Sherry, you don't need to write a pgm (a "proggy"? does
that rhyme with "froggy"?). Just call up your .kbd file and slip in the
following for some unused alt-key, 53 is used here for the purpose of example:

53=d,o, ,x,x,x

Should work fine, unless someday you put on your harddisk a xxx.exe or
xxx.bat. If you want to protect against that possibility, use something even
more nonsensical, like x_z_q. I just tried:
do ^^^
and it worked, too.

Regards,
Harry