Re: Windows XP Pro and XyWrite

"David B. Kronenfeld" wrote:

>     I just got a P4 with Win XPPro on it. Am now trying to load
> stuff. Mostly DOS stuff does fine, though one stat program dies with a
> "runtime error 200 at ....:....". Older Windows programs seem more
> problematic. Hence my questions--if anyone can help.

In my expereience, this error, and the infamous "Divide by Zero" error, often
indicates one of two conditions: a) The program was compiled in Borland's
Turbo Pascal, which had a critical flaw that is manifested when the program
is run on the faster processors of recent years. Or b) There is some other
timing
problem in the program that makes it crash when run on latter day CPUs. The
first problem is sometimes patchable, but this is a somewhat technical
exercise.
The original, very popular DOS version of ProComm Plus had a problem
of this type, and was patched by the developer just prior to the end of the
product's life cycle. There is also at least one utility capable of slowing
down
your cpu (may not work under some versions of WIN), that may allow such a
legacy program to run. For purposes of discussing this problem, a "too fast"
cpu is probably anything faster than about 200 mhz. Obviously, hard to avoid
this today.

Can't tell you anything useful about XW or XP.

Jordan