Re: xyJava revisited [was Re: A couple of issues]

  Well, what either MS or IBM do in regards to Java is fairly irrelevant
anyway -- the real develpment is in Linux and Solaris, and that's where it
will remain. Ask the folks at Netscape -- they all run Linux. And yes, Java
is still in it's infancy -- but Java code executes faster than C or C++ on
the same machine, and offers much greater cross platform capability, and
that's what really matters.
  But as I said before, I have my doubts whether XY re-written in Java
would be as fast as it is now -- maybe the parts that TTG has written in C
would be faster, but most of it is still assembler. OTOH, with today's
machines, maybe it wouldn't matter -- and the idea of being able to run XY
on Macs, Suns, whatever, would certainly be fabulous. Not that I think it's
going to happen.

--
Harmon Seaver
hseaver@xxxxxxxx

"Some mon just deal wit' information. An' some mon, him deal wit' the
concept of truth. An' den some mon deal wit' magic. Information flow aroun'
ya, an' truth flow right at ya. But magic, it flow t'rough ya."
     -- Nernelly, A Jamaican "Bush Doctor," 1982

Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1995. License to distribute this post is
available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent.