Re: Stopping USB drives from XY4

Harry Binswanger wrote:
It's the removal of power. No one has claimed any problem about inserting a USB device, only removing it.

Actually, I have sometimes had a system reboot when my flash drive was
inserted. Both older and somewhat underpowered systems. Furthermore, it
happened when I inserted the drive directly into the USB (1.1, by the
bye) port, rather than connecting it to an extension cable. I suspected
static, esp as I was groping around trying to get the thing in a port
that was not in plain sight.

M.B. Poirier wrote:
>>I have a small icon in the tray called "Safely Remove Hardware." Before I remove my flash drive, I activate this icon and I then get a message to the effect that it is now safe to remove the flash drive from the USB port.<<
Hmm, I don't have access to the XP box right now, but 98 doesn't have
that icon in the tray. Rather, I right click on the icon representing
the drive and then click "Eject" from the menu that pops up. IIRC,
that's what I do in XP too. For CD's and Zip drives too.
FWIW, I have found this helpful, but then I don't run DOS apps full
screen: I create a folder called Drives, put shortcuts to all the drives
on my system in it, then create a toolbar that points to that folder.
Thus icons of all drives are always on the bottom of my screen. (Now if
only M$ would let a shortcut display properties; but only the "real"
pointer to the drive in My Computer does that. Grr.)

Patricia M. Godfrey