Re: XY4 Footnote Reference Sizing

** Reply to note from "Ambos, Paul"  on Mon, 29 Jan
2001 11:16:28 -0500

Paul:

Sad to say, there is nothing built-in (unless my recollection fails
me). This was a concern in Xy3+ also -- the subject was raised with
XyQuest more than once, they promised to look at it -- but didn't,
AFAIK. In XyWWWeb.U2 there's a program called FRMTFTNTS designed
specifically to manage thia problem -- for more info, command "help
frmtftnts".

Another approach (again, if I recall correctly), is to redefine (in
PRN) the meaning of . In other words, change
MD SU=(*+SUPERSCRIPT)
to something like
MD SU=(*)
which would render the FN symbol as normal text. Thus, Editor
continues to issue  with footnote numbers, but it doesn't mean
anything anymore. But FRMTFTNTS allows you to change the font and
size of the in-text footnote character, as well as its super- or
sub-scripting, and any other characteristic capable of being "Styled"
(it uses Styles to achieve its purpose) -- plus it's a smart program,
i.e. it knows whether you're using Styles or not, and adjusts it's
behavior accordingly.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx