RE: Re.: Screen font...

Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 1:00 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Re.: Screen font...

⬦.My problem arose when publishers wanted manuscripts in MSWord, and I had to comply.

M. W. Poirier
-------------------------------

Me too, in spades. Everything at every publisher I write for has to be in MSWord. Last book
converting from XY to MSWord and getting the endnotes right drove us crazy. Part of the problem is
Word's "section" breaks and the space breaks we build into narrative to indicate the
passage of time or change of place. Took me weeks of jiggling to get page numbers and endnotes and
the formatting in general right. Same at the university. All the students and faculty use MSWord and
all university attachments are either in PDF or MSWord. I have not installed the new 64-bit NotaBene
yet, but I think it exports to RTF, which again will require a lot of tinkering. Also my co-writer
works only in MsWord. So I was wondering: has anyone, professional writer or professional whose
trade depends on writing long takeouts, such as attorneys -- jury-rigged MsWord to behave similarly
to XyWrite, or, more realistically, written up a whitepaper on how to strip the program of all the
superfluous bells a
 nd whistles. In other words, create a plain vanilla edition. Yes, I know, that would be XyWrite.

Michael Norman