Re: Re.: Screen font...

XyW to MS Word is a problem.  But not all that bad.  Using XyW 3.54 I go from a manuscript with endnotes, using a XyW program essly to convert the XyW formatting into html tags, bring that up in WORD, and with some largely mechanized search steps for special things like intented block quotations, have a good WORD doc.  Takes 15 minutes to do it well, but no longer.

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Michael Norman mailto:michael.norman@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2014 1:00 PM
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Re.: Screen font...

….My problem arose when publishers wanted manuscripts in MSWord, and I had to comply.

M. W. Poirier

Me too, in spades. Everything at every publisher I write for has to be in MSWord. Last book converting from XY to MSWord and getting the endnotes right drove us crazy. Part of the problem is Word's "section" breaks and the space breaks we build into narrative to indicate the passage of time or change of place. Took me weeks of jiggling to get page numbers and endnotes and the formatting in general right. Same at the university. All the students and faculty use MSWord and all university attachments are either in PDF or MSWord. I have not installed the new 64-bit NotaBene yet, but I think it exports to RTF, which again will require a lot of tinkering. Also my co-writer works only in MsWord. So I was wondering: has anyone, professional writer or professional whose trade depends on writing long takeouts, such as attorneys -- jury-rigged MsWord to behave similarly to XyWrite, or, more realistically, written up a whitepaper on how to strip the program of all the superfluous bells a
 nd whistles. In other words, create a plain vanilla edition. Yes, I know, that would be XyWrite.

Michael Norman