Re: the germ theory; off-topic

Hmm....
Oh, trust me, I am quite familiar with the story of cholera in London. For
example, in that epidemic I.V. hydration was used for the first time to save
peoples' lives - the physician, Snow I think, used a quill to gain access
and used water from a pumpwell that was contaminated with large amounts of
urine seepage. It turns out, although he had no idea at the time, that the
only reason he didn't kill his patients by giving them hypotonic water
(which would lyse the red blood cells) was that the water was so full of
urine salts that it was close to the osmolality of blood!

The point you guys aren't getting is that any true scientist always keeps an
open mind, even when confronted with seeminly crazy ideas, because there's
often a germ of truth contained therein. I happen to think that the germ
theory is probably 98% absolutely true, but by assuming that it is 100%
true, we make a grave scientific error and close our minds to other
possibilities in certain cases that may not be explained as well as we are
assuming. There are many discrepancies in the germ theory, and although I
practice as if it were true all day long, prescribing antibiotics as
indicated, I would never put 100% faith in any dogma.

For example, I recently inherited a patient complaining of terrible
sinusitis, who had already been on three different antibiotics over a two
month period. I surmised that an incomplete, "allergic" immune response was
at fault, and put him on substantial doses of vit C, L-carnosine, alpha
lipoic acid and true vitamin A (not beta carotene). In three days he was
much better, he stopped his antibiotics on his own say, and after a week was
symptom-free. I think the real key was probably the carnosine, which is a
resovoir molecule for histidine, which in turn is used to make histamine,
which in turn switches off phagocytes and allows NK cells and cytotoxic
T-cells to become active. This is all great hypothesizing, but frankly a
great deal of intuition was also involved, and as long as he's better, it's
OK with me that I may have done the right thing for the wrong reason.

So, all I was saying is that to call what Morris was saying "nonsense" is to
be unnecessarily harsh, and is an example of the mistake that each
generation of close-minded people make when they think there are no more
mysteries or unanswered questions in medicine, and, no, it's not just that
we don't completely understand immunity - that's just one theory, vastly
unproven, as to why we have strange contradictions in the field of
infectious disease wherever we look.

Charles