Re: Batch spelling enhancements; off-topic

I use Batch spelling a lot when I'm copy editing; great way to find the
personal or place name spelled two or even three different ways in a
100-page MS. So I did write a macro to find instances of a word from the
batch-created list in the file in question. But it's not customized to
run under U2, which I understand requires embedding it in a help file or
something? It is also based on the assumption that the badwords file is
dispalyed in one column. (Does the sort table you use take account of
accented letters? Mine does.) Anyway, this is a transcription into
human-language of the functions and commands:
DF NI TR DF BC se /JM (Copy to CM)/ AS TF XC
It would probably have been better to use the Define Line (DL) function,
rather than having to position the cursor at the beginning of the word in
question and then having the macro begin define, go the the end of the
line, and then end define. I just got in the habit of positioning the
cursor and using Define and End Define, rather than the more specialized
definition methods. And Blind Execute or Q2 rather than XC; this was an
old macro that may date back to Xy3. Note that the Copy to CM has to be
executed BEFORE the switch to the next window (which must contain the
document). Once you're there, you can hit F9 repeatedly to find the next
instance(s) of the word, though you may have to hit Ctrl-UpArrow to get
it back; it sometimes vanishes for some reason. I load this macro to F2-W
when I'm going to use it (I have other uses for the W key in other
situations).

I don't know how the germ theory rant got on here, and I hesitate to
dignify it with a reply, but I did once study logic, and showing that
individuals respond differently to infectious agents no more disproves
the germ theory of disease than the fact that some people hear and see
normally, some are deaf or blind, and some are merely tone deaf or color
blind, while some have perfect pitch or exact color-matching abilities
disproves the wave theory of sound and light. And after all, the same
variations occur in response to environmental pollutants: some (like my
late father) can smoke like chimney pots from 16 to 80, never develop
lung or any other kind of cancer, and have cardiovascular systems that
are the wonder and envy of their physicians. And some people who never
smoke develop lung cancer. We don't know as much as we should or whould
like about the varieties of human immune response, that's all.
Patricia