Re: Xy under WIN on a laptop, redux {was Re: WinXP/ME}

Mimi,

A backup disk that exists only as an invisible directory on your hard drive
isn't a backup.

If anything happened to your hard drive -- or if you wanted to change your
hard drive for any reason -- you couldn't do it. You'd be left with a
useless iron box and no software. When you contact support, ask them what
they expect you to do in such a circumstance.

You might be able to make a good Linux system out of it.

Norman

At 10:33 PM 10/28/01 -0600, Mimi Gauthier LeBien wrote:

>Most of them do come with the software backup disk. With IBM Thinkpad, the
>backup "disk" is an invisible directory that holds all of the files needed
>for W2000.  I believe all of the driver files are located in one directory
>also. I think I'm going to have to contact support for more information
>about how this works.
>
>Mimi
>
>>When you get a computer with W2000 or XP, do they come with a backup disk,
>>in case you want to change the hard drive or reinstall for some other
reason?

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D
New York, NY 10019