Re: DOS v Win encoding

Robert asked:

> You are using it mainly in CodePage 850 (or 437), correct?

And I answered:

> 437 only

Just to clarify, in my earlier message, I did mention CP 850 but I
realized that all I am actually using in XyWrite is CP 437 (but I guess
the principle for conversion would be the same anyway).

In the spirit of brash experimentation, I just defined a string of umlauts
(17 characters, CP437) in an open file in XyWrite, and, with the cursor
in the text (not on the command line), commanded

CLIPWC 65001

The prompt line duly said "Clipped 17 bytes", but the Windows clipboard
did not seem to have received anything, i.e. pasting in MS Word for
example resulted in a blank.

I then defined a string of umlauts in an MS Word file and copied that to
the Windows clipboard. In XyWrite, I commanded

CLIPWP 65001

and the string got pasted, but the umlauts were turned into lower-ASCII
"sort-of" equivalents, i.e. a-umlaut came out as plain "a" etc.

So it would seem that my current versions of CLIP, CLIPWC, and CLIPWP
are not ready for prime time conversion, at least with regard to UTF-8.

Hoping that this does not muddy the waters,

Wolfgang Bechstein