Re: DOS v Win encoding

> Can you nail down whether the Nipponese version of XP is using UTF-8 or not?

As I indicated in my earlier message, it seems that after all the native
format of the clipboard in Japanese Windows XP is UTF-16LE (which would
make it the same as other versions of Windows?). But applications
apparently are increasingly supporting UTF-8, and Japanese MS Word 2000
(the version I have) also can handle UTF-8.

What I find surprising is that when I do the DOS test described by
Robert, Code Page 65001 (UTF-8) seems to be installed ("CHCP 65001"
returns "Active code page: 65001") while Code Page 1200 (which I
understand to be UTF-16) isn't ("CHCP 1200" returns "Invalid code page").

Puzzled,

Wolfgang Bechstein