Re alternate screen fonts (Cyrillic) for XY

... and elvish

  In a discussion off-list, (where much the best discussion
of XY and DOS, Win95, OS/2 and Linux with the new kernel 2.0
(Redhat 4.0, takes place), one member of the list wondered
about Esther Dyson's use of Cyrillic XY and how this will
work in the new XY5 called Smart-Words under Linux.

  For users of Nota Bene, this is old hat (not Red Hat Linux),
and the reason they bought NB rather than her sister XY.

  DOS uses a megabyte of active memory. 640 kilobytes for
programs and such, the upper 348 kb for video screens of various
"sizes" depending on the video: text, cga, ega, vga etc.
'Up there' is where the fonts you see on the screen also reside.

  In my search for a nicer DOS font for such times when I'm
writing tiredly on a deadline and I can't see the screen, I was
looking at VDE editor which mentioned BIG FONTS and Xy
compatibilty sort of. (See above, (below? How do we designate
old messages on a mail client when we don't know the order the
others see it. Chinese see time on a calligraphic scroll to
the opposite of how westerners expect to see it.)

  One program I found for tired eyes was FontEdit II which
replaces your on-screen font with one you can edit and modify.
They include many examples with the program and the fonts can be made
into a *.COM file for calling up as single programs.
  So I shell out to DOS in XY and call the programs, most
about 4 kb, RUN FUTURA.COM BOLD2.COM, ELVISH.COM or
WEAKTIRE.COM and then return to XY with a different font now
on the screen.

  For those in 'virtual DOS windows' as in OS/2 or Linux DOSEMU
you'll have to go to a full-screen session, but that is the
reason I'm doing that DOS full-screen: to see what I'm writing
when "weak and tired" and the wine is rough.

  FontEdit2 is available from many sources of which the pre-eminent
one is SIMTELNET (formerly SIMTEL) at :

ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/vga/font

fedit12.zip  43420 Fedit v1.2: VGA Font editor. Req. VGA & mouse
fontedit.zip 38523 Edit VGA text fonts interactively ith mouse
fontpack.zip 37877 A collection of VGA text-mode screen fonts
fpman220.zip 34250 VGA character font and color palette editor
fprint25.zip 20233 Print w VGA fonts to printer w TP5.0+ source
ma_font.zip  2817 Alternative font for VGA mode 3 (80x25 text)

This is an anonymous FTP server. Signon with the word
'anonymous' as your id and your email id as the password
'smith@xxxxxxxx' if using FTP in direct connections.
  with mirrors at:

Country     Host           Directory
---------    ---------------------  -------------------
Australia    ftp.bhp.com.au      /pub/simtelnet
Australia    ftp.iniaccess.net.au   /pub/simtelnet
Australia    ftp.tas.gov.au      /pub/simtelnet
Austria     ftp.univie.ac.at     /mirror/simtelnet
Belgium     ftp.linkline.be      /mirror/simtelnet
Taiwan     ftp.ncu.edu.tw      /Packages/simtelnet
Taiwan     nctuccca.edu.tw      /mirror/simtelnet
Thailand    ftp.nectec.or.th     /pub/mirrors/simtelnet
UK, Edinburgh  emwac.ed.ac.uk      /mirrors/simtelnet
UK, London   ftp.demon.co.uk      /pub/simtelnet
UK, Liverpool  ftp.mersinet.co.uk    /pub/simtelnet
UK, Lancaster  micros.hensa.ac.uk    /pub/simtelnet
UK, London   sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk   /packages/simtelnet
US, California ftp.cdrom.com       /pub/simtelnet
US, California ftp.digital.com      /pub/micro/pc/simtelnet
US, Illinois  uiarchive.cso.uiuc.edu  /pub/systems/pc/simtelnet
US, Mass.    ftp.bu.edu        /pub/mirrors/simtelnet
US, Michigan  oak.oakland.edu      /pub/simtelnet
US, New York  ftp.rge.com        /pub/systems/simtelnet
US, Oklahoma  ftp.ou.edu        /pub/simtelnet
US, Oregon   ftp.orst.edu       /pub/simtelnet

  [Choose one 8 hours different from the west coast of North America
   for ease of access during U.S. busy hours. ]

  Browse around. Get the index in the root \msdos.
Don't forget to use "I" to download in binary.
Browse around and get the index (00_index.txt) of the
sister Notabene directory. Some may be useful.

  6919 Oct 13 12:31 MIRRORS.TXT
  2012 Oct 14 01:43 README.MIRRORING
 351924 Oct 27 14:11 SIMDOS-I.ZIP
340656 Oct 27 14:10 SIMDOS-L.ZIP
 47979 Jun 15 09:27 UNZIP.EXE

-----quote
 FontEdit ][ is an editor of text fonts (but can be applied in graphic
 modes). You can create, edit or test fonts from 1 line to 32 in text
 mode. But overall, you have two simultaneous different font in the
 screen and you can copy from one to other.
                         ------ unquote