Re: A Real puzzler

> In other words, the
extended chars are only understood within the tight closed
environment of Xy4<>Speedo.
There is one--very fortunate for me--oddity: the W4W filters
do translate these chars correctly from Xy to WP, though NOT
from WP to Xy. That is, if I convert a Xy file with smart
quotes to WP 5, using the filters, and then import that file
into a more recent, 32-bit Win native version of
WordPerfect, the smart quotes (and em dashes, and lots of
other high-order characters) come over correctly. But I just
 tried using some in a WordPerfect file, saving it as WP5,
and converting that into Xy. Plain straight quotes, and
several other chars did not come over either. Whether modern
WP doesn't embed them in the WP 5 file or what, I don't know.

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
PriscaMG@xxxxxxxx