Re: RE XP or 2000

I am also outraged by product activation. Aren't there corporate versions
of XP that don't require product activation? I remember reading that there
were "corporate packages" of XP, with a minimum of 5 licenses, that did not
have product activation, because IP managers in large institutions weren't
willing or able to manage product activation for thousands of computers.
And I'm pretty sure the U.S. military refuses to buy software with copy
protection.

What do you do if/when, 5 or so years from now, you have to repair your
computer, product activation doesn't accept it, and MS tells you that they
no longer support that version of Windows?

Norman

At 11:09 AM 11/27/03 -0500, Patricia M Godfrey wrote:

>This is purely theoretical and a matter of principle, but XP inflicts
>this outrageous Product Activation scheme on you. After you first boot
>the machine you have only a certain number of boots before it will
>deactivate itself unless you call (or maybe you can do it on the Web)
>Microsoft and "activate" your product. If you should subsequently change
>too many components of your hardware, Win XP might decide it wasn't
>running on the same hardware it was originally installed on, and require
>you to "activate" it again, with another call to Redmond ("Please,
>Brother Bill, pretty please with sugar on it..." Yccch!) Now this isn't
>likely to happen with a laptop, but the mere idea makes me see red. BBBG
>thinks we're all crooks and liars (because the EULA requires you to say
>that you do accept its terms)? As we used to say in grammar school, "It
>takes one to know one."
>Patricia

Norman Bauman
411 W. 54 St. Apt. 2D