Incredible Disappearing Speedos

After 90 min.s of trial and error investigation, I have determined the cause
of my greatly diminished roster of fonts that show up in the Typeface
Directory box. As it happens, I have close to 50 Speedo fonts installed in
C:\BTFONTS, somewhat less if you consider the variations such as italic
versions of the same font, etc. Only 16 of these show up in the TypeFace Dir.
I recall with certainty that all or most of them have been displayed there in
the past.

The first thing I thought was that maybe I had protected them during the last
version upgrade/install, and that lingering Read Only file attributes were
somehow preventing them from being seen by XY. But no such R/O attributes were
set. Next, I rummaged thru the Customization Guide, finding the reference to
SCRFONTS.BIN on page 157. Well, I had no such file, and did not know where to
acquire one. (The manual appears to be *wrong* in stating that XY will create
the file after you use Graphics View! I cannot create this file no-how,
no-way.) Scrounging around some more, I found an old SCRFONTS.BIN from SIG
1.02 (which seemed to have a lot of Speedo font names mentioned inside), and I
copied it to C:\BTFONTS. This made NO difference at all.

Checked my listed PATHS setup under ADVANCED, PREFERENCES, DEFAULTS. Ditto for
SETTINGS.DFL. No apparent deficiency. {But what the heck is the ZL= value?
Couldn't find this in the manual.}

O.K., that left the Printer File. To refresh your memory, I'm using an HP-LJ
II with 2.5 meg.s memory, but loading HPLJ-4.PRN and ennabling Image Mode, so
that I can use scalable fonts, even though the actual printing takes longer.
So, I did a direct compar-
ison between HPLJ-2 and HPLJ-4 files. (I had made some necessary modifications
to HPLJ-4, but doubted they were relevant.) The Printer Control Tables are
different -- no surprise there. The "FA" and "FP" tables are more extensive in
the LJ-4 file.

The critical factor turns out to be that I had -- per your helpful instructions
here, some time ago -- commented out the line "UO=1" as the only way to make
Image Mode printing available on this printer. I did this in the HPLJ-4
printer file, but not in the HPLJ-2 file. Ergo, if I load HPLJ-2, I can see
all 50 fonts displayed in the Typeface Dir. -- but can't use Image Mode to
make use of them on this printer. Or, I can load HPLJ-4 and see no listing for
2/3 of the Speedo fonts, but have Image Mode available to me. This makes very
little sense! Is there some workaround?

I suppose I could load the LJ2 driver, format the doc., then load the LJ4
driver just before printing. Then, even though the chosen font no longer
appeared in the TypeFace Dir., would all the formatting selections still work?
I'm not so sure. It seems to me that there are some fonts that I did
successfully scale (and choose symbol set, etc.) in the past, but they aren't
printing at all properly now. So, _something_ is messed up. There may not be
any good cure for this besides upgrading to a current model of this printer,
which I wasn't terribly anxious to do . . . .