RE: slightly OT: Dragon Nat Speak on Mac OS X

Certainly DNS on the windows side is the fullest implementation, you just need to have Windows. (Disclaimer: I actually purchased a small pc, to run windows, so i could use DNS. My goal was to be able to control the windows DNS from my Mac, but it really didn't pan out. This was before the Intel Macs.)

I know that there are some limited editing in the Mac Speech, but i think they've fixed the issue of adding vocabulary. I have the package, but not a machine to run it on, but i took a peek at their forum and found this (look at the fifth entry, i think:

http://www.macspeech.com/extensions/forums/topic.php?id=36

So it would seem you could add vocabulary in some sense.

Let me add that the Mac Speech people have been pushing for quite some time to have good speech recognition products on the Mac side. They worked hard on their products prior to Mac Speech (one not licensing the DNS engine) and i'd feel comfortable that they are working hard to have the best product they can have.

However, my suggestion would be that if you want the best recognition right now, get DNS and a PC. IF you already have a Intel Mac, Vm Fusion with DNS is also a solution. Judging from the Mac Speech forums, there are people using it having no problems and others that are, so your mileage may vary.

fwiw,

Russ

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at  2:14 AM, flash wrote:

> Harry, Russ, anybody,

DNS (Dragon NaturallySpeaking, not domain name service) on the Mac is less capable than in Windows; the reseller bought the engine but not all the features. For example, you can't add your own vocab to its database; you're stuck with the out-of-box database. Uselessly limited in my technical field, so I've bought the Win-version of DNS. Also, DNS for Mac will install/run _only_ on Intel Macs. I found this out by reading numerous reviews on the web; the mfg. doesn't warn you about them.