Re: accessing the Linux clipboard...

Bob Zimmerman wrote:

>I hope this helps.

a great deal, Bob. very interesting -- I'm going to try these out when I iron out
some of the other issues. in response to Paul's:

>trouble copying from XyWrite to "clip.txt" using
>ctrl+alt+k, and have to hit it twice (the first time I hit it, Dosemu
>adds "keyboard grab" to its title bar

Ctrl+Alt+K is DE's hotkey for the mouse grab, which I think means the Linux
desktop gets hold of the window (for copying/pasting?) -- you might want to
remap that key elsewhere. (somewhat to my surprise, I found a lot of the
documentation spread among several files in /usr/share/doc/dosemu, which I guess
is where it's supposed to be.) however, I think it may be possible to take back the
keyboard from DE at a fairly low level -- may be making progress on reclaiming
Alt-Bk, but we'll see what I can glean from the DE listserv.

Ubuntu is a lot of things Suse never was, for me at least -- whenever I updated
system or apps, it always sent me to find the installation DVD. and whatever
update tool I used -- YAST, zen, the other ones -- libraries & dependencies were
always a mess, sending me searching through repositories, only to discover one
little library version wasn't up to date.

by contrast, the Ubuntu repositories so far seem reliable and not complicated. the
wealth of free s/w is simply astonishing, and fun as well as useful -- apart from a
couple of very nice stargazing apps, I've stuck compiz & Cairo Dock on this eee, &
while I never thought I'd be a sucker for the eye candy, all the OSX launcher stuff is
cute, stable, and amazingly for this little laptop, has almost no overhead.

-rafe