keycode program

The NB group was struggling with modify keyboard files, so I pulled out
Carl's keycode routine from the big U2 file, changed it slightly so it
worked with NBwin 6.1 on my system and posted a copy to the group.

Several people say it doesn't work with their setup. It seems to have
crashed NBwin to the point that some people had to reboot the computer to
get NBwin to work properly again.

Could someone have a look and make some suggestions? Without the slight
addition at the beginning of the code (which came from the PrsCMLine
routine) it won't work.

I suspect there are some conflicts with NB variables... I'm using a
XyWrited (ie Xy-righted) version of NB 6.1.

A stand-alone XPL program is called for here, not the fully robust
Xywwweb.u2... that's asking too much for some NBer, I'm afraid.

Thanks.
Myron