Re: Counting Word Frequency i...

Jack Shafer wrote:
>My first computer, a Kaypro that ran CP/M, came bundled with a sweet little
>program called Word Freq, which would build an alphabetical list of all the
>words in a file and count them. Does anyone know of an XPL program that takes
>advantage of XyWrite's (DOS and Win) SORT function to build such a list that
>counts the occurance of each word in a file?

Christopher Litsinger
XyWrite Technical Support wrote:

>While I'm not sure of any effective way to identify frequency of all words, the
>change invisible command is a lightening fast way of searching for the frequency
>of any particular word. Using change invisible to change a word to itself will
>return the amount of changes made (the frequency of that word).

Thanks for writing back, Christopher, but you miss the point of
Word Freq.

By building a list of words and counting the frequency of each word, Word
Freq made it easy spot overused words. The value of the program
to a writer is that it informs him if he has overused $10 words
like "vociferous" and "defenestrate" in a short article.