Re: accessing the Linux clipboard...

Carl,
The revised APPEND version, the CoPy version, and the SAveDef version of xytonix.pm all now appear to be working fine, both to copy and cut text, except for one instance today when two extra words were transferred to Gedit but not deleted from Xy4 using APPEND v2 to cut.

I'm using the following key assignments:

45=NIXHBXr,u,n, ,\,x,y,4,\,c,l,i,p,\,x,y,t,o,n,i,x,.,p,m,Q2RD
46=NIXHBXr,u,n, ,\,x,y,4,\,c,l,i,p,\,x,y,t,o,n,i,x,.,p,m,Q2XD

at CTRL+SHIFT+x and +c.
As noted previously, I have found that right-clicking with the mouse in a Linux program text window shows "Paste" grayed out despite having run xytonix.sh -- but Ctrl+v will insert the text that has been copied from Xy4 to the Linux clipboard.
I ran into a bunch of oddities in the process of getting to this stage,
though. Without enclosing a short story, I'll say that after a lot of
playing around with all the versions except the original APPEND, I found
that if the key assignment started with NO and ended with RD, the use of
the mouse had an affect on the program's functioning. And it was pretty
much any use of the mouse, not to just using it in Xy4 to highlight the
text. Problems would occur if I clicked into the Xy4 window, clicked
onto the Xy4 titlebar, or between Xy4 window and Gedit window icons on
the panel (taskbar). (For info, I've been testing this out on Xy4/Dosemu
in Linux Mint 5 Xfce.) Starting the key assignment with NI seems to get
around this problem.
I had some other issues, for unknown reasons (and I couldn't reproduce
the problem consistently), with using on "dos2unix -fp" to convert cr|lf
to lf. Dos2unix seemed to be converting cr|lf to nothing when I first
used it. I switched to (and have since decided to keep using) "fromdos
-dfp" to do the conversion. Dos2unix is a symlink to fromdos and there
should be no difference between the two; the added -d switch reinforces
the dos to unix directionality of the conversion ("todos -d" is the same
as "fromdos").

As it stands now, my shell script (minus bash line and comments) is:

tr -d '\032' < ~/data/xy4/clip/frxy > ~/data/xy4/clip/frxya | fromdos -dfp;\
xclip -i -selection c < ~/data/xy4/clip/frxya;\
rm ~/data/xy4/clip/frxya
One of the changes I made amid all this is that I changed the .dosemurc "CPU shown to Dos" setting to 80486; default is 586 and mine had been 686. Not sure or not if this might have helped with the fact that the SAD version now seems to run OK. I'm assuming that the revised DeFine key you suggested is not the cause of the improvement because I'm seeing improvement with the SAD version when selecting using an unchanged DefineParagraph key, other unimproved keyboard selection methods, and the mouse. I am not noticing any difference in the speed of Xy4 since the change, but I haven't yet run anything that usually takes time to run. If the current setup seems to run well with respect to clipboard, I will see if I can shift back to the 80686 setting with no ill effects.

Paul