Re: accessing the Linux clipboard...

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:51:32 -0500, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:

>but like all Linux-origin apps
>I've seen, the documentation is utterly uninformative. Wish it
>were otherwise.

I've felt that way in the past, certainly about ports of Linux apps, of which OS/2 has
hundreds. now that I'm (sort of getting) used to using man pages, I've realized that
the problem with us newbies/lusers is the documentation is trying to tell us things
we think we really don't want to know.

seriously, it's not that complicated. I don't want to annoy anyone with a
commercial for Linux but -- about the basic functions, there are very good books
that make things quite clear (I started with the O'Reilly Running Linux) and failing
that, countless sites offer quite good background and support.

these days the GUI shells are so thoroughly developed that one could very easily
use any number of the latest distros without going near a command line. for better
or worse, however, if you want to do anything a little bit unusual, you'll want to get
familiar with how things work, and getting XyWrite running happens to be exactly
unusual enough. it really doesn't need me saying it but the powerful knowledge of
Linux is a corollary to the blissful ignorance of Windows.