Re: Is it hopeless?

Harmon Seaver writes:

-> I'm getting more and more discouraged with XY these days. Since
-> the advent of the WWW, my long favourite editor seems
-> hopelessly antiquated. For instance, taking a document
-> prepared in XY, formatted exactly right, then saved as an
-> ascii text file by loading strip.prn and tyf-ing it; and
-> pulling it into an HTML document as pre-formatted text with the
->
 tags can be a nightmare. The formatting gets cockeyed,
-> and when I start editing it with any unix text editor, I find a
-> multitude of "^M"'s all over the place ...

Harmon: I've used Xy4 to import/export HTML docs and don't experience
the problems you describe. As for this:

-> Then there's the reverse -- trying to pull up a document into
-> XY and not being able to at all without changing the file name
-> first, ...

I don't understand. Change the filename? You mean, from MYDOC.HTML
MYDOC.HTM? That's a Unix vs. DOS issue, no? To my knowledge Xy has
never rejected a legally-named DOS file. Are your problems
Unix/Linux-
rather than Xy-related?

Be that as it may, your larger point ...

-> So here's the question, folks. Have any of you been blessed by
-> TTG with a beta of the new release (or with inside knowledge)
-> and can attest to there being some hope of salvation in the
-> near future for these problems? Or should I just dig a cyber
-> hole for my copies of XY4, XY3, and all the manuals, etc, and
-> lay it finally to its eternal rest?

... is very well taken indeed! Where _is_ TTG on the new release?
Why
haven't we heard a word in many weeks? Is everyone too busy polishing
code to communicate? Or is there a less optimistic explanation?
Harmon's not the only one around here who finds the long silence
disconcerting.

Ken? Anyone? Please...?

Carl Distefano * * * CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx