Is it hopeless?

 I'm getting more and more discouraged with XY these days. Since the
advent of the WWW, my long favourite editor seems hopelessly antiquated.
For instance, taking a document prepared in XY, formatted exactly right,
then saved as an ascii text file by loading strip.prn and tyf-ing it; and
pulling it into an HTML document as pre-formatted text with the
tags can be a nightmare. The formatting gets cockeyed, and when I start
editing it with any unix text editor, I find a multitude of "^M"'s all
over the place in my supposedly "clean" ascii text file. These have to be
hand removed, then the entire document reformatted. So it seems that it
was pretty senseless to bother writing the thing in XY in the first
place, eh?
 Then there's the reverse -- trying to pull up a document into XY and
not being able to at all without changing the file name first, which I
usually don't think to do until I can't find it from XY's command line.
Or finding that it is totally unworkable in XY because of a lack of
carriage returns. Oh, I know, as some kind soul replied to me via email
when I asked about this problem awhile back: you certainly can do up a
xpl routine to insert carriage returns into these documents. Right! Which
is about the very last thing I want to do, believe me. I suppose you
could even write another xpl routine to then remove all those again when
you save the file, and more routines to try somehow to keep the
formatting straight.
 So here's the question, folks. Have any of you been blessed by TTG with
a beta of the new release (or with inside knowledge) and can attest to
there being some hope of salvation in the near future for these problems?
Or should I just dig a cyber hole for my copies of XY4, XY3, and all the
manuals, etc, and lay it finally to its eternal rest?

Harmon Seaver hseaver@xxxxxxxx hseaver@xxxxxxxx http://www.uwm.edu/~hseaver
"Facts an' facts, an' t'ings an' t'ings: dem's all a lotta fockin'
bullshit. Hear me! Dere is no truth but de one truth, an' that is
de truth of Jah Rastafari."  -- Sir Robert Marley, 1978
Copyright, Harmon F. Seaver, 1996. License to distribute this post is
available to Microsoft for US$1,000 per instance, or local equivalent.