typing speed

from Morris Krok
 essence@xxxxxxxx

 How to speed up our typing. Without changing from a qwert keyboard to =
dvorak, use the word expansion program that comes with Xywrite. The AR =
function will expand an abbreviation for a word or sentence to their =
completed form. This function can be added in a keyboard file to the =
space bar, key 57 as well as the keys for the comma, fullstop, colon, =
semi-colon, question mark and exclamation mark. It can be added to as =
many tables as you like or just to the first table and the caps table.

 In addition you have to construct a file with the extension .spl. I =
call my one shthand.spl and it is automatically loaded by including it =
in the startup.int file. For Xywrite to recognize this file it must have =
this as the first line ;SP; with a return at the end to take you to the =
next line. Thereafter you can add your own abbreviations with just one =
space separating the shortform from the expanded form. Like this: (t =
the) or (aca Academy of Advanced Thought) or just your name (mk Morris =
Krok). The return must end every entry so that each entry requires a new =
line. An abbreviation will be expanded even if you add a punctuation =
mark before pressing the space bar so that t, becomes the,.

 I have gone one step further by writing a simple program that enables =
me to type in shortform without using the space bar and then expanding =
whatever has been written when the key for that program is pressed. When =
this method is used, the full word is typed when you do not know the =
shortform or no shortform exists for the word. This is how I would type =
a line.

#nw/z/t/ti/f/all/gd/m/men/to/cm/to/t/aid/v/toz/n/distress.

when expanded it reads as follows

Now is the time for all good many men to come to the aid of those in =
distress.=20

 By typing in this manner, typing becomes very silent as the space bar =
makes a noise in comparison. You will also note that it changed the =
first letter of the sentence into a capital.

 If anyone is interested I will send my entire shorthand file, as well =
as the program to run it.=1A