Re: 2.BAT, etc.

Carl: For me, this outweighs all other considerations. My xyWrite
interface owes much to the best I ever encountered, the Leading
Edge Word Processor's.
I see folks refer to long file names as a "modern" feature, but
LEWP allowed them 15 years ago. I loathed them. The internal dir
structure they imposed between the file and FAT was at best
annoying and trying to resolve two names for each file--long and
FAT--wasted time. GEOS Ensemble too allows long names, but mine
never exceed 8.3, so I can always recognize them in a xyW dir
listing. I may be alone in actually *liking* 8.3 names. I'll
nonetheless check out The Book on dirl. I must admit that I've
not read great chunks of it. Most catalytic computer book in my
library. Every page and a half of browsing lights a new bulb and
I set it aside in an xpl frenzy. As a result, later I've found
occasionally that I'd reinvented a couple of The Herb's wheels,
but at the time I was afraid I'd lose the thought. ...

Why am I unsurprised that you long ago wrote an xpl 2?
Haven't yet but will XPLdeCODE it. I have to dl all code a few
times and do FM/FDs to resolve chars that get dropped when I log
email. (My antique disk cache is the likely culprit. Happens only
a random char at a time, never with binaries, and matters only
with encoded stuff.) Thanks, Carl. :)   --A

========================== annie fisher  nyc