Re: USB printing ??? & DOS2USB pgm

"Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote (a little while ago):

> I think I'm the last 98 diehard

Oh no, you aint'nt.

After an extensive period of tinkering with Windows XP SP2 co-installed
with 98SE on my main machine (a Hewlett Packard Omnibook XE3), I've
recently returned to 98 as my main work environment which reflects years
and years of customization and in which various permutations of Xy 4
(for English, German, and, yes, Japanese) run so beautifully as to have
all the lure of XP pale before them. Interestingly, and contrary to what
I had feared, cursor jerkiness in DOS under XP was not a problem at all,
either in full screen or in a window (and I'm very sensitive to this
kind of thing). In fact, when I trial-installed Tame just to see what
else it could do, cursor movements and key repeats suddenly became
ridiculously glacial as well as hiccuppy. Since I didn't need Tame in
the first place, I didn't take the time to tinker with its default settings
to see whether that behavior could be improved (I think it probably
could). My main problem with DOS under XP (and I realize that this would
affect very few other people) was the handling of the Japanese-layout
laptop keyboard in other regards, in particular the extra system keys
that I have defined in my Xy KBD file. Some keys that work perfectly
fine in DOS/XY under 98 made everything go haywire under XP (both in the
CMD and the COMMAND shell, with the latter being slightly better). This
is with the Japanese version of XP, with the keyboard being recognized
fine in the Windows environment itself. A lot of small (non-Japanese)
DOS utilities also ceased to work, and the screen fonts for the DOS
window were more limited (do the Siebert fonts work in XP, and where can
they be found?). Anyhow, I'll stop boring everybody with these
irrelevant ramblings and get back to doing some real work (in 98 of
course, which BTW very seldom crashes around here).

Wolfgang Bechstein
bechstein@xxxxxxxx