Re: Goodbye Xy?

** Reply to note from rrr@xxxxxxxx 07/06/96 12:20pm +0000

> >lack of any way to edit formatting codes. With XyWrite, I can change the
> margins
>
> Yep, 'exactly. Any wordprocessor that doesn't doesn't allow one
> to switch to expanded mode and edit the formatting commands is
> out of the picture for me right there and then. No matter how
> many other gee-whizz features there are in it.
>
> I wish people would state that right away, so that can spare reading
> through the rest of the prose: is it transparent a la XY-DOS, yes
> or no? If no, we are really comparing apples and oranges.
>

> -- Rene

Yessirree! To that sine qua non, I would add:

(1) the command line (freedom from menus);

(2) the customizable keyboard, including the ability to
   (a) map user programs (not just macros) to keys,
   (b) collect programs and macros in a single library
     file, and
   (c) detach and jettison unwanted modules like menus,
     dialogs, etc.; and

(3) a flexible, stable programming language that's at least
   as developed as XPL v4.

In other words, dead or alive, Xy is going to be my basic writing
tool for quite a while. People still study Latin & Greek, don't they? ;-)

Carl Distefano * * * CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
"Xy = Write!"